Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Today We Danced

Monday, August 4, 2009


This happened this past Friday. I wanted to share it with those who have diligently prayed for me for so long. Your love and support means so much to me. I also hope that anyone who is in the midst of difficult circumstance might find comfort from it, knowing that God has not forsaken you. He loves you and walks with you. I hope that someday you will dance.

This morning, after Eric, Ty and Tess left for school, Amelia and I were alone at home. After the hustle and bustle of getting everyone out the door, it is usually very quiet. While I was cleaning up the kitchen, I decided to put on some music. The song that came on was "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns.

Amelia ran into the room. She was smiling from ear to ear. She always loves to listen to music. "Momma that is a song we have in our car!" (She was referring to the radio-KLOVE, all the time-except for the occasional Veggie Tales). She began to twirl around so that her nightgown would billow out. She ran around the counter pulling me into the open space. She held up her arms and exclaimed, "Let's dance!"

I scooped her up. She wrapped her body tightly around mine and laid her head on my shoulder. I snuggled her close and breathed deep to inhale the strawberry scent of her hair. We began to sway and turn slowly. She became still. We both were silent as we waltzed around the floor.

I listened to the words of the song:

"Who am I
that the Lord of all the earth
would care to know my name
would care to feel my hurt,"

I was overcome. My emotions were so contradictory. I felt so humble, so in awe of my King, but at the same time proud to be His child. We were His creation.

"I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.
I am yours."

There in the middle of my kitchen, our dance became a love offering of praise. As the song played, we danced for Him. Amelia remained still and silent. We held each other more tightly and stepped softly about the room.

"Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are."

I was so full of gratitude, so consumed with joy.

"Who am I?
That the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again.
Who am I?
That the voice that calmed the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me."

"I am yours."

The day before, I had been sad. Life has been difficult this past year and a half. But at that moment, somehow, I knew that my time of mourning was coming to an end. He had carried us through another difficult circumstance. We had come through to the other side, hopefully changed for the better by His love and faithfulness.

I thought of our tomorrows. I know that as long as we live on this earth, there will be trials to endure and obstacles to overcome. But, because of my yesterdays, I know that the God that held me then, will not forsake me in the future. He will uphold our family in good times and in the hard times too.

But, today, I basked in His love. I reveled in His care for me. I worshipped Him as my Refuge, my Stronghold, my Healer, and my Sustainer.


Today.....we danced.

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven:-------A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance."

Ecclesiastes 3:1,4

1 comment: