Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Lancaster Spa

My co-worker and friend, Terry, generously brought some of his garden vegetables to work so that we could take some home. I was very excited about the fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. I proudly presented them to Eric when I arrived home in the morning after a night at work. Since I had to work that evening as well, I went to bed and didn't eat the veggies until after a nice rest.

I sat at the table eating sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, when Amelia saw my plate from across the kitchen. She smiled and ran to me. "Momma, I need you to cut me a cucumber."

"Why don't you just have some of mine? Do you want me to get you a plate?" I responded to her request.

"No, Momma. I don't need a plate. I just need two cucumbers," as she pointed to them on my plate. (She meant slices.)

"What do you need them for? Aren't you going to eat them?" I inquired.

"No, Momma. We need them for our spa!" She covered her eyes with her hands to indicated where the cucumbers would go.

I laughed and gave her two of my largest slices and continued to enjoy the fruit of Terry's labor.

In a few minutes, Amelia ran into the kitchen asking, "Where is the guacamole?"

I replied, "We don't have any guacamole. Are you hungry?"

She frowned and said, "Awww. I need to for our faces."

I smiled again and explained that it was just avocados instead of guacamole that they spread on the their faces. As I explained, I heard Tess call Ms. Amelia Lancaster back for her massage. She ran back into the living room where they had set up.

I finished my meal and walked in to see their spa station. Amelia lay on her back on the ottoman with the cucumbers on her eyes. Tess was rubbing lotion on her arms. I exclaimed over their ingenuity. Dinah was toddling around them absorbing all that was going on around her. I watched as she walked slowly up to Amelia. Dinah looked at her, then up at Tess, and back to Amelia again. I asked Dinah, "Doesn't that look like fun?" She stared at Amelia's face and surprised us as she grabbed a cucumber from Amelia's eye and put it in her mouth in a flash.

We all laughed as Amelia sat straight up and said, "Dinah!"
___________________________________________________________
I asked Amelia why they used cucumbers on one's eyes when they were at the spa. She replied matter of factly, "They put them there so you can't see them massashing you."

There isn't anything quite so exciting as a cucumber. Thanks Terry!

No comments:

Post a Comment