Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Are You Getting Excited?

THE OLYMPICS WILL BE HERE IN ONLY 9 MORE DAYS!!!

For as long as I can remember, I've loved the Olympics. Winter or
Summer, I don't care. It is all fabulous. But since it is winter, lets talk
about those.

I remember sitting cross-legged in front of the TV in awe of how
beautiful the ice skaters were. Despite never seeing any ice except
in the freezer, and on the rare occasion the pond in the backyard
froze over in an ice storm, this Mississippi girl dreamed of gliding,
smiling, jumping, and spinning someday for these United States
of America. It was difficult practicing my routines in my tennis shoes on
grass but that didn't stop me. You should have seen how well the Janzen
kids could bobsled in a laundry basket on the the living room floor.
Four of us-just the right number. What a team!

Speed skating, skiing, curling, luge--I watch them all with wonder. To not
be much of a sportswoman myself, I sure do appreciate their athleticism.
If I only had one tenth their drive and discipline, oh, what I would achieve!

I think another reason I like the Olympics is that I associate it with family.
We always watched it together. There weren't any other TVs, gaming
systems, or iPods to call us away. There were hardly any other channels
for that matter. They were an event to look forward to together. So
now, even though my children have plenty of other options, I force them
to enjoy the events with me. Maybe they will look back and have a
few fond memories also.

I have been a weekend nurse for almost 5 years now so I have missed
the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics the last two times.
This year it will all be different. We have a DVR!!! I will be able to
record every moment!

So, gather up your red, white, and blue and get ready to cheer.

USA! USA! USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment